Out to Swim offers a wide range of swimming sessions to suit all abilities, all led by experienced coaches and teachers. New swimmers are assessed by one of our coaches and allocated to one of the following groups, according to swimming ability and development needs: lessons, development, or one of the four club groups.
Streaming swimmers in this way enables us to:
- provide a framework for personal development;
- direct swimmers to the most appropriate session;
- make the best use of limited pool time;
- maximise the benefit that swimmers get from the sessions; and
- manage overcrowding.
If you want to try out the Club, click here for your free taster session.
OTS provides swimming lessons for those who want to learn how to swim or to improve their strokes so they can move to the next level, for more information please click here.
Development is the bridge between lessons and the main training sessions.
As a minimum, you will be expected to be able to:
- swim 12 lengths freestyle without stopping
- swim 100m backstroke, 100m breaststroke and 25m fly
- attempt a tumble turn
All of the above Development standards plus:
- be able to complete an hour session
- make effective use of the clock
- complete a block set for at least 30 minutes of intense swimming
- be able to swim all four strokes competently and without stopping after each length
- Complete between 2000m to 2200m in an hour
As for Group 4 but:
- be able to dive and tumble turn
- swim 50m fly
- complete between 2200m to 2400m in an hour
As for Group 3 but:
- swim 100m fly
- complete between 2400m to 2800m in hour
As for Group 2 but:
- complete at least 40 min of intense swimming
- complete between 2600m to 3000m in an hour
Some of OTS top swimmers started their time in the club in lessons. Many find that the group they feel comfortable with changes as their fitness varies. The coaches will let you know when they feel it’s better for you to try a different group. It's not about pride, it's about creating the best environment for you so even if you are asked to rejoin a previous group it's not forever and the decision is focused with your interests in mind.
Creating a great environment isn't just the coach's job. Each and every member shares this responsibility, check out our guide to Lane Etiquette and make sure you're on the same page with our Glossary of Swimming Terms.
At this point you'd be forgiven for thinking OTS are a focused bunch who only have time for swimming, well not quite - we host a wide range of socials all throughout the year that are open to everyone!
To join us click here arrange your first free taster session. Just click the button below, fill in the form, and our membership secretary will arrange a date for you to come for a try-out. At the session, one of our experienced coaches will assess your level and allocate you to the appropriate lane.
If you have any questions for our swimming representatives please fill out the form below